Tips for getting a good “clean” sleep.
- Go to bed at the same time every night – even weekends
- Wake up at the same time daily
- Use the bed only for sleep (and intimacy) so that your mind associates the bed with sleep
- Develop a bedtime routine that allows 30 – 60 minutes of wind down time i.e. take a bath, do relaxation, yoga, meditation, aromatherapy, listen to soothing music, etc.
- Exercise daily
- Keep the bedroom cool (not cold or hot) and manage the noise level – consider a white noise machine to block out other noise and/or for soothing comfort
- Try getting sleep interfering problems off your mind by writing your problems down and generating possible solutions at least several hours before bed.
- Exercise 2-4 hours before bed
- Consume caffeine in any form after dinner i.e. coffee, tea, chocolate, cola etc.
- Lay in bed for more than 20 minutes while trying to fall asleep – get up, go to a different room, engage in a relaxing activity (read a book or magazine, do a craft, listen to music, etc.) . When drowsy, go back to bed and try again to fall asleep. Repeat this process as necessary.
- Engage in stimulating activity before bed i.e. video game, thriller movie, intense discussion etc.
- Take naps – they can interrupt sleep cycle
- Eat dinner or heavy food 2 hours before bed – digestion and/or heartburn can lead to or increase insomnia